Monday, April 25, 2022

Meet Us Monday - Lauren Young

 


Of all the resources the Samford University Library makes available to its users, among our most important and valuable are our people! Our #MeetUsMonday series offers a weekly glimpse behind the scenes by spotlighting the various people who work tirelessly every day to proactively support the University's mission by providing scholarly resources, research and information services, a welcoming environment, and collaborative alliances to promote learning and teaching.


Lauren M. Young
Library Instruction Coordinator
Reference Librarian

Liaison Librarian for:
Moffett and Sanders School of Nursing
School of Health Professions
(Physician Assistant Studies)

Master of Information and Library Science, University of Southern Mississippi
MA English, University of Mississippi
BA English, University of Mississippi

Joined Samford in 2015

  • What do you like best about working here in the library? The space is beautiful and my colleagues are wonderful, but the very best thing is helping students grow in confidence in their research skills. Each day brings new students to my office with unique research topics that I get to spend a little time with. It's so fun to see what interests students and to learn along with them.

  • What do you do on your commute to and from Samford? I often opt take my first grade son to school in the mornings rather than send him by school bus. It adds extra time to my commute, but chatting with him one-on-one is special time well spent. Once I drop him off, I flip between the talk radio presets on my FM radio dial, learning about the day's news topics from a variety of perspectives. So many of the tidbits I hear end up being leads for research questions students have.

  • What are some of your interests outside of work? I love to work with plants and have indoor and outdoor favorites. I spend a lot of time with my family - my husband and our daughter (12yo) and son (7yo). We play board games, work puzzles, build with Legos, ride bikes, and love to host get-togethers with friends. We are active in our church, Shades Mountain Baptist, and I enjoy volunteering at the kids' schools. We like to visit Oxford, Miss., home to our alma mater, Ole Miss. Hotty Toddy!

  • What is your favorite book? So many books are warmly familiar; it would be tempting to choose one of those. On the other hand, there are so many new stories to get lost in and to learn from. And who can resist the charm of a beautifully illustrated children's book shared with your children? Nothing, though, comes close to the Bible. As Christians, we are to live on mission for God. He shows us how through His word. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.” 2 Timothy 3:16-17

  • Who is one of your heroes and why? My father was an officer in the Army Medical Corps, retiring at the rank of colonel. We moved every two years of my childhood. My mother, a teacher, devoted her teaching abilities to her children and nurtured us through all of the transitions. Our home was warm and happy and transcended location. My mother- and father-in-law faithfully raised a son who would become a wonderful husband and father to our family. These individuals modeled putting God and family first. They served our country selflessly, continuing family legacies of patriotism and sacrifice. They continue to actively pour into their children and grandchildren. For that and more, they are all my heroes.

  • What’s the one thing people likely don’t know about you, but should? My father's work with tropical diseases led our family around the globe. I was born in Brazil and lived in Kenya as a teenager, and we lived in several regions in the US. Experiencing different cultures at a young age was formative for me, instilling both a heart for other countries and a profound sense of gratitude for my own. I cannot overstate the benefit of traveling and experiencing the world (safely!) for young people.

No comments: