Monday, March 28, 2022

Meet Us Monday - Jennifer Taylor

 


Of all the resources the Samford University Library makes available to its users, among our most important and valuable are our people! Our #MeetUsMonday series offers a weekly glimpse behind the scenes by spotlighting the various people who work tirelessly every day to proactively support the University's mission by providing scholarly resources, research and information services, a welcoming environment, and collaborative alliances to promote learning and teaching.


Jennifer Taylor
Chair, Special Collection

Liaison Librarian for:
Howard College of Arts and Sciences
(History)

Master of Library and Information Science, University of Southern Mississippi
BA English, Mississippi State University

Joined Samford in 1999

  • What do you like best about working here in the library? The community of people. There may be other places with people as great as those here at Samford but there are none better.

    I also love the wow factor. That’s when archivists put a piece of history in someone’s hands and you can see them make a connection with the past that is different from learning about history online or in books. 

  • What do you do on your commute to and from Samford? I listen to NPR and if I'm not doing that, I'm listening to a friend's message on Marco Polo.

  • If you didn't work here in the library, what and/or where would you like to be doing? Before library school, I made a serious effort to become a clown with Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus. I got a call from them with interest. But looking back, I'm so glad that didn't work out because I love libraries and Samford is such a great place to be. 

  • What are some of your interests outside of work? Musical Theater. I'm a Broadway Nerd to the core! I can talk theater and NYC any day, all day.  

  • What is your favorite book? In fiction, Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery. That’s the book that made me a reader.  In non-fiction, Telling the Truth: the Gospel as Tragedy, Comedy, and Fairy Tale by Frederick Buechner.  In biography, Rich Mullins: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven by James Bryan Smith.

  • Who is your favorite author? Of course, the Samford authors are my favorite. We have got brilliant folks here on campus.  I am always amazed by what others on this campus are doing.  But outside of that, it's my friend, Ash Parsons.

  • Do you have any favorite podcasts? On the Doc. Those ladies are so funny! One Thousand Words by Matthew Clark. This American Life.  I also love all The Rabbit Room podcasts. They have so many good ones.

  • Who is one of your heroes and why? Gary Haugen - He saw people in need of help. He recognized the love of God for each person and he started IJM to help them.

    Personally, of course, my parents are my heroes. As I get older, I recognize more and more the sacrifices they made for me and how they loved me so well.

  • What app is your favorite discovery? PhotoScan - The lighting in Special Collection is terrible for taking pictures. This app allows you to get pictures without a glare.

  • What’s the one thing people likely don’t know about you, but should? I am passionate in my despise of mayonnaise -- shout it from the rooftops!

No comments: