Monday, January 24, 2022

Meet Us Monday - Lance Day

 


Of all the resources the Samford University Library makes available to its users, among our most important and valuable are our people! Our #MeetUsMonday series offers a weekly glimpse behind the scenes by spotlighting the various people who work tirelessly every day to proactively support the University's mission by providing scholarly resources, research and information services, a welcoming environment, and collaborative alliances to promote learning and teaching.


Lance Day
Reference & Instruction Librarian

Liaison Librarian for:
School of Health Professions
(Communications Sciences & Disorders, Kinesiology, Physical Therapy)

School of Public Health
(Public Health, Social Work)

Master of Library and Information Studies, University of Alabama
Master of Social Work, University of Georgia
Bachelor of Social Work, University of Montevallo

Joined Samford in 2014

  • What do you like best about working here in the library? My favorite thing about working with the library is meeting students, supporting their academic efforts, and witnessing them make progress. I also enjoy working with professors to support their students.

  • What do you do on your commute to and from Samford? My commute is 2.5 miles but takes a while on some days. I listen to music and try to view the time as a nice pause instead of a hassle.

  • If you didn't work here in the library, what and/or where would you like to be doing? I would likely be doing some kind of social work. 

  • What are some of your interests outside of work? I enjoy volunteering with various organizations and most recently volunteered at the Sidewalk Film Festival. I love to travel so always planning my next adventure. I like to bike with my son. Also, a fan of butterfly gardening.  

  • What is your favorite book? Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

  • Who is your favorite author? Lately I've been loving Wendell Berry. Everyone should read Berry!

  • Do you have any favorite podcasts? I prefer books and music over podcasts. But I do love SmartLess!

  • Who is one of your heroes and why? My mom Judy Wills Day is such an important hero. When I'm parenting my children and recognize that I'm doing so as my mom did, then I feel like I’m doing it right.

  • What app is your favorite discovery? I love using the Sky View app while watching the night sky.

  • What’s the one thing people likely don’t know about you, but should? I’m more interested in what people know about me that I don’t know about myself so get in touch and let me know! 


No comments: